Home Memorial  Fallen A - F  Fallen G - N  Fallen P - Y Timeline Maps Maps2 Contact

Lostock Hall Roll of Honour



Course of the War

Lostock Hall men


Trench war continues along the Western Front

January 25

Defence of Givenchy

A captured German soldier revealed an attack was imminent against Cuinchy and Givenchy.  The Germans' initial advance was repulsed and the British re-gained lost trenches.

James Fairclough from Lostock Hall and Harold Southworth from Farington, both of the Scots Guards, along with several men from Leyland, were buried alive in a trench which was mined by the Germans.  They had been in France just 11 days.


Trench warfare continues in appalling conditions; rain, snow and mud; heavy shelling and sniper fire by day, trench repair by night.

March 11-13

Battle of Neuve Chappelle

The British now occupied the front from Givenchy north to Langemark.  An attack at Neuve Chappelle was initially successful but then fizzled out through lack of ammunition.

Joseph Hardman (Scots Guards) was killed on 12 March.

April 22 - May 25

Second Battle of Ypres

During this battle the Germans made first use of poison gas.

On April 22, the Germans mount an attack on Hill 60 using poison gas.  Under intense shelling and rifle fire the British are forced to withdraw.  John Morris, with King's Royal Rifles, is killed on 24 April

April 25

Gallipoli Landing

A number of Lostock Hall men fought at Gallipoli, though mainly later in the campaign, and none lost their life there.

May 7

Sinking of the Lusitania

RMS Lusitania was a passenger ship sunk by the Germans with the loss of  1,198 lives.  The incident caused international outrage, although the Germans claimed the ship had been carrying weapons and ammunition.

Lord Derby launched a recruitment campaign which arrived in Preston at the end of the month.  Outrage felt by the sinking of the Lusitania gave a boost to recruitment.

May 8

John Henry Park of the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regt. was killed on 8 May during fighting at Zonnebeke, near Langemark.  

May 15 - 25

Battle of Festubert

Continuing the War at the southern end of the front, near Neuve Chappelle,  a 60-hour bombardment of 100,000 shells preceded an infantry attack on the village of Festubert. Over the next 10 days, the British advanced about 3km at the expense of  nearly 17,000 casualties.

Fred Buck of the Scots Guards was killed on May 16.  His Bn lost 10 officers and 400 other ranks, killed or wounded.

In the ferocious hand-to-hand fighting, a number of German soldiers attempted to surrender but were shot by officers from their own side.

May 25

Also at Zonnebeke, Sgt Arthur Bleasdale of the Cheshire Regt. was killed on 25 May.  Although the Germans had made some advances, they failed to break through and this part of the campaign came to an end.

June 15

A renewed offensive at Festubert

Ernest Sturzaker had been in France for just a fortnight when he was killed going 'over the top' on 16 June with the Royal Scots Fusiliers. His cousin, William Kellett, was with 1/4Bn Loyal North Lancs and had been in France since the beginning of May.  He was wounded on 15 June and died on 23rd.

1/4LNLR also included the 'Pals' company from Chorley, the 'Chorley Terriers' who were slaughtered in this action.

For personal accounts of the action that day, click on the LNLR cap badge.

Summer 1915

After the battles at Festubert and Ypres, there was no change in the situation on the Western Front - just static warfare with the Army losing around 300 men a day as they sought to build trenches and consolidate their position, but the Army continued to lack material and weapons, especially artillery.

July 29-30

On 19 July, the British had exploded a huge mine at Hooge, near Ypres, the Germans retaliated on 29-30, using flamethrowers for the first time.

Sgt Richard Morris, of the King's Royal Rifle Corps had been in Flanders about 10 weeks.  His Bn was in the trenches at Hooge when the Germans attacked using flamethrowers and trench mortars.  The Bn lost nearly all its officers, 35 other ranks killed, 187 wounded and 67 missing, including Richard, whose body was never found.

Autumn 1915

The late summer and autumn of 1915 were relatively 'quiet' on the Western Front, though incessant artillery attacks and infantry raids continued to claim many lives.

L/Cpl John Barnish of 7Bn Loyal North Lancs died of wounds on 5 December near Festubert.

The map above shows the bulge in the front line which was known as the ‘Ypres Salient’.

1915 had seen the first use of poison gas and flamethrowers but no strategic gains for either side.  As well as stalemate on the Western Front, the Allies had suffered a major setback in the disastrous Gallipoli campaign.  Back home, the government had recognised the need to significantly increase the war effort and provide more and better equipment and weapons.

1916 would be much, much worse.